Monday, September 21, 2009

Mid-Autumn Festival Family Dinner


Mmmm.. Mid-Autumn Festival. Yet another date on the Chinese Calendar that forms an excuse for awkward family gatherings and extended gorging sessions. With a group of the usual family members and friends we met up for pot-luck dinner at an Aunty's house. Being highly efficient and organised, everyone was delegated a dish to ensure no doubling up and the like. Drinks flowed and merriment ensued.

I knew there was a reason I still went to these things! This is it, photo-essay style:




Chinese Style Roast Duck.



Assorted Mushrooms and Fungus on Baby Bok Choy.




Malaysian Fish Cake Roll with Water Chestnut.




Seafood Fried Noodles.




Assam Chicken.




Chinese Style Roast Pork.





Baked Salmon with Dill.




Curried Cauliflower.




Beef Mie Goreng.


Thai Beef Salad.




Curry Puff in Homemade Short Pastry.


Sure, we were full up to HERE afterwards, but who doesn't have room for dessert right? We had sago pudding with brown sugar sauce and coconut milk. OH this is SO GOOD! Sweet, calorific and heart-attack-inducing, sure, but worth every sticky, creamy bite. (I should have got a photo but I was too greedy and couldn't wait).

What I also didn't manage to snap was the mooncakes! This year we had an unusual offering: Green Pandan Mooncakes! Crazy! From the outside they looked like normal mooncakes, but inside was a bright green coloured pandan and lotus paste. They taste a little like the regular white lotus mooncakes, but less sweet and with a hint of that beautiful leafy pandan taste. So gutted I didn't get a pic but they were gobbled up so fast! Next time I hope I can show you my friend's mother's pandan sponge cake! Bright green and delicious!


1 comment: